The pile of things to go is getting ever higher.
The last couple of days were a struggle – I reached a point where I had saved loads of things from a time when I was unhappy and alone. Various members of my family were suffering with mental issues, addiction problems and money problems, and I had just ended a destructive relationship after months of anguish.
NOT a great period in my life!
Wading through all the things I had saved made me feel so grateful to be where I am now.
And it also made me realize how much I was mired in the past because I had all that stuff hanging around in our house.
Making the choice to let it go has made me feel lighter.
Lighter, freer, and healthier.
I think if you spend too much time thinking about, organising and collecting the past, you cut off your enjoyment of the present and take away time that you could be using to plan the future.
I am terribly guilty of this, but sorting it all out and releasing it all has helped me realise that it’s not good for you.
So, I’m up to my 2009 folder now (4.5 years left to rummage through!) and I have only 2/3 filled the box I set aside 🙂
Probably only one more update after this (‘Hurrah!’ I hear you all cry).
And here’s the boring bit, all the things that went out (did I ever mention how much I love lists and numbers and facts?):
- 1 A5 diary with entries cover to cover
- 2 A6 diaries with entries cover to cover
- Set of pages from an old filofax
- 5 luggage tags
- 17 entrance tickets
- 1 entrance receipt
- 2 magazine clippings
- 13 bus tickets
- 1 travel itinerary
- 1 bungy jump certificate
- 1 lonely planet guide
- 1 map of New Zealand
- 1 map of Ko Samui
- 1 map California
- 1 map Brussels
- 1 map Seattle
- 1 map Bruges
- 1 UK forest trail map
- 2 business cards
- 1 office pass holder and pass card
- 2 xmas cards
- 1 old vehicle registration document
- 1 car details sheet
- 2 A4 folders
- 12 attraction leaflets
- 2 CDs of photos
- 3 wedding invites
- 6 birthday cards
- 1 valentines card
- 1 card from an ex-boyfriend
- 1 car crash report
- 1 festival wristband
- 2 postcards
- 1 letter to an ex-boyfriend (never sent)
- 1 post-it note
- collection of ripped out diary pages
- 1 membership certificate
- 4 programming training certificates
- 3 work awards
- another collection of ripped out diary pages
- 1 itinerary suggestion for Brussels
- 1 Eurostar booking receipt
- 10 cards
- 1 leaving card
- 1 poem
- 1 programming magazine
- 1 letter
- 9 photos
- 1 anniversary card
- positive pregnancy tests from DS1
- 4 pregnancy scan photos (blurred)
Ongoing total out
-> Part 4