18 months ago, I bought a home blood test for Ceoliac Disease. The test result (positive) is pictured above.
I bought this test two months after my first miscarriage (when trying for baby no.3). I was suffering (and occasionally still do) from digestive complaints – wind, massive bloating, cramps and (TMI) even two occasions of leaking a bit of poo (how horrible!!!!! I can’t even believe I’ve written that down!!!!!).
Anyway, seeing the positive result, I went straight to the doctor and they ordered me a blood test.
Which came back negative.
I was stunned. Not only do I have many of the symptoms, but coeliac disease tends to run in families. My mother has suffered from IBS for years (she has never been tested, but coeliac is often mistaken for IBS) along with a whole host of other immune issues. And her mother suffered osteoporosis (which can be a result of coeliac disease).
Not only that, but coeliac disease is often linked to recurrent miscarriages. My count stands at seven (at no point has anyone suggested coeliac disease might be worth investigating, nor did the doctor I saw think it was relevant).
In fact, my doctor didn’t even want to see me – the receptionist gave me the results and said there was no need to come in and see her.
I guess my digestive problems weren’t considered serious enough to warrant any further action.
What did I do?
I cut right down (but not completely out) on gluten products. We switched pasta out of our meals (we used to eat a lot of it) and included more rice and potatoes. I cut down on bread.
I felt better.
And that’s how things have been for 18 months.
Eating vegan has prompted an increase in gluten and my skin and eczema are now really bad (could be the dark chocolate). I’m full of wind (could be the extra beans) I’m bloated as hell (could be my big ovarian cyst). I just feel so crappy all the time (no, that’s not a medical term, sadly).
But now I’m wondering again.
Why was the home test positive and the doctors test negative?
Is the home test just rubbish?
I’ve read as many reviews as I can on the home tests – many people have got a positive home test and gone on to get a positive test at the doctors.
What is happening in my case?
Why the discrepancy?
I decided to do some research.
The coeliac test I originally used is this one. It tests for:
- IgA antibodies to tTG (ATA IgA)
- IgG antibodies to tTG (ATA IgG)
ATA IgA is almost certainly an indicator of coeliac disease. However, coeliacs can be deficient in IgA and produce excessive IgG. The problem is, IgG is not as definitively linked to an immune response to gluten (as far as I understand).
So I was testing for two variables in one test. And I don’t know which was positive.
Maybe my blood test at the doctor only checked IgA?
The doctor is closed for the weekend, so I went out and bought a test for IgA only, so see what the result would be:
So I have no IgA antibodies to tTG.
Logic therefore dictates that I tested positive to IgG antibodies in the first test. This may also explain why the doctors test was negative (to be confirmed).
Why would I have raised IgG?
- I am a coeliac with IgA deficiency
- I am a coeliac with normal IgA levels (some people have a positive biopsy despite a normal blood test)
- I am not a coeliac. My body is producing an immune response to some other condition or issue (I have long suspected an immune issue, as I mentioned in the antihistamine protocol)
From Medscape: Immunoglobulin A deficiency (IgAD) is defined as an undetectable serum IgA level. In the past, this was usually confirmed with the low-level radial immunodiffusion method (lower limit of detection is 50 mg/mL [5 mg/dL]). However, this test is rarely done in current practice, and results are usually reported as < 0.07 g/L or < 0.05 g/L.
And from coeliac.org.uk: When the laboratory is measuring your antibody level they should also check your total serum IgA to detect IgA deficiency. If you are IgA deficient your GP will need to test you differently for the condition.
So I need access to my blood test results from 18 months ago. That will have to wait until next week.
If I cannot obtain any further confirmation via my doctors, I will try an elimination diet and subsequent gluten challenge.